Article by Maya Pugh
The importance of having a lush and healthy lawn cannot be overstated.
After all, a neatly trimmed and well tended one can provide lifestyle, economic and even environmental benefits that are hard to miss.
However, creating the lawn of your dreams can be daunting sans basic upkeep know-how.
Get your maintenance off to a good start by keeping the following essentials in mind.
- Unknown to many, cutting encourages healthy grass growth. As such, it is deemed ideal to mow the frequently, especially during the growing season.
- In addition, it is advisable to complement the setup with above the ground culm as this makes the abundant distribution of the nutrients to possible.
- Moreover, cutting encourages more photosynthesis to take place because it absorbs more sunlight which makes the grass thicker. Suffice it to say, a heavier lawn will work to your advantage as it dramatically helps in minimising the presence of weeds.
- While cutting is considered advisable, it is important not to go overboard as doing so will prove counterproductive. Cutting shorter than what is deemed advisable has been credited as the main culprit for bald areas and dry lawns.
- As a general rule of thumb, the ideal length during the cold season is 3 inches while 2-2.5 inches is considered perfect during the warm months.
- In a nutshell, the secret to good watering is doing it heavily only when the need calls for it.
- In essence, what is necessary is a heavy pour that’s good enough to go down deep in the soil and encourage the roots to grow.
- When the grass turns bluish grey, consider it a foolproof evidence it badly needs watering.
- During the hot season however, it is crucial to keep your things in check. In line with this, it is advisable to do the watering in the mornings as it will help cool down the grass once the temperature rises.
- To keep everything in superb shape, adding fertilisers is a must. Consider it the much needed ‘health booster’ of sorts.
- If you are going to use commercial fertilisers, you have to decide if you prefer the regular water-soluble spray fertiliser, or the slow-acting granular kind. You can expect immediate results from the former, while it will take longer for the latter to manifest the results you desire.
- As an additional tip, it is advisable to apply only minimal doses in mid spring and early fall to give time for the soil microorganisms to break down the nutrients and distribute it accordingly.
Proper maintenance can be challenging, but it’s not rocket science either. Arm yourself with the basic know-how and the right nursery supplies and you will be enjoying the lawn of your dreams in no time.